the bbq business

I had a whole blog written out about work, about the stress of it. About how how I miss having normal hours like everyone else. About having co-workers of the same age and possibly interests. I decided that maybe it's unprofessional to rant about your work place. Maybe it's better to just keep quiet, work hard, and make the best of it.

I read a blog of a friends tonight that made me reconsider my point on Mr. President-elect. They made a point about how his color will make a difference in the generation below mine. The point was that our kids will grow up (at least for the next 4 years) seeing a good role model, a educated, and a responsible figure of African-American decent. I hadn't thought of this and I think it is a legitimate reason to celebrate a black man being in office. We so often see the role models of not only black kids but of White, Latino, and Asian (as well as other races) being rappers, rock stars or some other character that is not really in any way suitable to influence our children's generation. It will be interesting to see how this presidency plays out. Not only for Americans in general but for our children and how they perceive each others exterior and culture. It will be interesting to see if Obama can make a dent in the "rap" culture that has so dominantly shaped the African-American community. For that I applaud him and do have hope. For the rest of us, I hope that we just see a man, a man of no color.

And with that, I hope my political rants are over. I am either surrounded by news coverage of politics or consumed by Bill Miller Barbecue. I prefer to talk about something, with God's help, that is positive rather than BBQ.

Also give us some ideas to write about. This whole blogging everyday for a month thing is hard when you run out of ideas in the first 6 days.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Oh, I rant about work all the time, so don't feel too bad about it.

I've actually found that it's the silly and mundane things I blog about that people get the biggest kick out of. Then again, I have a two year old to pull from, so life in this house is never boring. Maybe you should have a 2 year old, too! It will make the blogging easier :)

Claire said...

@ sara - If Chance had a two year old that I didn't know about, he'd be in trouble!

Although...there was a little girl who was probably about two in Amarillo one time (where Chance is from). We were leaving Hastings, and she was in line with her mother when she looked at Chance and said "Hi Daddy". I about wet my pants.

Chance's Favorite Blogs

Claire's Favorite Blogs

Labels

Our Beloved Readers