makes me wanna scooby do

This weekend was pretty great...really - thanks for asking!

For the first time in QUITE a while, it actually felt like we had a complete two day weekend (although Chance DID have to work a few hours this morning). It was much better than the past couple of months have been with him working on Sundays in the middle of the day. Chance and I were able to go to church and lunch (with Elizabeth and Blaine @ Zocalo - FUN!) - which is totally not typical these days. We ended up with a lot of time to talk, relax (see Chance's last post), and get a few things done on Saturday and Sunday.

Our weekend was pretty full, and I won't detail the entire thing, but today was pretty darn busy. We spent a majority of the day searching out a potential vehicle (minus the two hours we were at Obees visiting Emily and Charlie - eating lunch - and taking Emily a nasty hot dog which she was craving). I'm pretty sure we've narrowed it down to two vehicle choices...the Mazda 3 and the Toyota Camry. Yes, we know that these cars are in two different size classes...that's part of the decision. But we're pretty settled. We've also decided that WHEN we buy, we'll most likely buy a new car (which we originally intended NOT to do). Due to financing/interest rates and the cars we're looking at, it generally would only be about $20-$50 more a month to own a brand new car with warranty, etc...so...yeah. But we also made the decision NOT to buy right now, unless we can get the EXACT deal we want - because honestly, we don't NEED a second car. We want one, but we're surviving just fine without. It's kinda nice to have all that off our backs - knowing that we're not tethered to NEEDING a car...knowing we can buy when we want and that we hace control over how much we pay ---it's all so relieving! At the end of the day, part of me felt like we'd wasted 6 or 7 hours of our lives test driving/searching/dealing with dealers...but really, I feel much better now that we've been through it and know what we want.

So, that's one accomplishment from this weekend. We also gorged a little, which I wouldn't necessarily call an accomplishment, but...eating a Cookie Monster at Cheddars + Frito Pie at Obees could almost be considered just that. The scale won't thank me tomorrow.

Accomplishment #3 (if you choose to claim the aforementioned as an accomplishment) is that I started and finished a book that I deemed 'way too huge to read' in about 6 hours. I swallowed it, if you will. I honestly didn't want to like Twilight - I'm not a big fan of reading what's popular just because it's popular, but Nicole forced the first two books in the series on me, and I had to oblige. I started reading Twilight at Thunderbird, and finished it off when I woke up this morning (I was nearly finished when I put the book down at 3:45AM). Ha. I'd recommend it to nearly anyone to read. It's so incredibly intense - just beautiful. I can't wait to start the next in the series. I'm craving it, actually. But no, this doesn't mean I'll concede and read the Harry Potter books. NEVER! I'll stick with vampire love stories for now - much more dark and interesting than kids and magic. (:

That Stephanie Meyer - she's got skillz (of the storytelling kind, at least). (: I'm SO ready for the movie. (:

EDIT: At least, I thought I was ready for the movie. Now I'm not so sure. I just re-watched the preview, and I'm concerned about some of the locations. Most of them are 100% what I pictured, but one of them in particular....is completely wrong. And the acting, not so sure about that either. But then again, can movies EVER be as great as books? And speaking of movies as books, does anyone have any knowledge of when Time Traveler's Wife is actually going to make its debut? Seems all release dates have been removed from IMDB. Great.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on finishing the book!!! And Lunch was super fun! We've got to do it again soon!! We miss hanging out with you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I was looking for the dates for Time Traveler's Wife too. . . can't find anything except that it may have been moved until 2009 sometime. Sad day.

Anonymous said...

ive heard that TTW is coming out around valentines day. it was supposed to be christmas time - but got pushed back due to the competition with the new brad pitt curious case of benjamin button movie. who knwos though.. AND _- by the way - im excited you read and enjoyed twilight! you knew that i had read all those right?? ive had my tickets for friday nights movie for about a month now! and -- books are ALWAYS better than the movies..but they can still be fun! aaaand -- i just love that youre a reader :) let me know what youre reading next - we could do a long distance book club - hah

-brooke

Claire said...

@ Elizabeth - thanks. (: We miss you too.

@ Beth - They just keep pushing it back. Hoping Brooke is right...

@ Brooke - I vaguely remembered you saying TTW was gonna come out in Feb. I just thought we would have seen a preview by now. Grr. And, I'm glad I liked it too. I've just gotta read the next 3 in the series, which probably won't go nearly as quickly as the first one. After that, I'm really not sure what I'm reading, but I have a drawer full of books I'm supposed to read. Lol. You generally read like 5 books in the time I read one...so I dunno if the book club idea would EVER work. Lol. I'll try to keep you posted on what I'm reading when I finish this series though!

Unknown said...

Ha! I used to feel like you did about dumb old Harry-Stinkin-Potter. Especially since I worked at Half Priced Books and had to hear his stupid name eight times a day. But soon after we moved here my brother gave me the first three and I said I would read two before I gave up on the series. I didn't really like the first one but by the second one I was hooked... damn you stupid potter boy! So watch out what you say Claire.... ;)

Marilyn said...

I'm so glad you are reading the Twilight books. I got into them after the last one came out and turned out that I loved them. Definitely an accomplished writer. They are billed as being a huge hit with teens, but they go much deeper than that. I'll see the movie,but I don't expect it to be nearly as good as the books.

Claire said...

@ Kris - In order for me to read HP, someone's going to have to give me all the books and probably read at least 40 pages of the first one to me. I'm determined not to fall into that trap. I can handle a 4 book series. I'm not sure that I can handle more books than that. (: Plus, you're a little more into the wizardry type stuff than I am. Fantasy is more you. Darkness is more me. Hahaha.

@ Marilyn - I'm actually surprised that you like them! We'll have to discuss sometime. (: Thanks for commenting, by the way - I'm glad you got it to work!

Chance's Favorite Blogs

Claire's Favorite Blogs

Labels

Our Beloved Readers